Please pray for Charlotte. She has Hypo plastic Left Heart Syndrome and will have her Glenn surgery tomorrow (2nd of 3 surgeries). Please pray that God will guide the doctors, give Charloote strength, and her family peace.
Please be in prayer for little "Ryan" who I mentioned last week. They were hoping to wait a couple months for his first heart surgery. However, God has something else in mind. Ryan's sats have dropped quite significantly and surgery is immediately necessary. To put it bluntly, Ryan's heart is about as messed up as they get and the odds are absolutely terrible. He will be going in for surgery at 9:30 tomorrow (thursday) morning. Please be praying for Ryan, his family, and the surgical team. The surgeon said that this is about as complicated of a surgery as they ever do and no child has survived such complicated heart defects yet. However, we know that God is bigger than any of this and He knows the outcome. Please be praying for little Ryan tomorrow.
Please be in prayer for baby Henry or also nicknamed Ryan. He is 1 week old and is quite the special little boy. He was born with his heart and his stomach outside of his body. As if that was not enough, his heart has several severe heart defects: HRHS, absent PDA (ductus), an additional superior vena cavae, pulmonary stenosis, and tricuspid artresia (a missing valve). This little guy and his family have a long road in front of them. Please keep them in your prayers and head over to their site to see their beautiful family: http://marquissclan.blogspot.com/
I met Averi's mom at heart camp this summer. She was a fellow volunteer and of course we hit it off right at the start. Averi is a month younger than Maggie Jane so, naturally, we traded stories and contact info. Averi has pulmonary atresia and tetralogy of fallot. I don't know all the ins and outs of her heart defect, but I do know that she has been through A LOT, and she is a fighter. Averi had a cardiac cath today to try to postpone a complete open heart surgery for as long as they could. However, they were not successful so she will have open heart surgery tomorrow morning. Please pray for sweet Averi tomorrow. Pray that God gives Averi's family the patience and understanding to know why this is happening. As always, pray for an overwhelming sense of peace as they hand their precious child over to the doctors. Also that he keeps Averi wrapped in his loving arms and gives Dr. Huddleston the skillful hands and brilliance to fix her heart! Also, please pray for Averi's twin sister, Addison. Yep, I said twin sister. Averi's sister is healthy, but I am sure this is all very hard on her as well. There is no way a 20 month old can understand why her life is turned upside down.
To make matters worse, Averi's grandma will be going in on Monday for a biopsy of a mass in her pancreas. They are hoping to rule out cancer. Needless to say, this family needs peace. As always, thank you for your prayers and support.
All in all, Abbie is doing pretty well. They closed her chest yesterday (friday) and she did pretty well with that. How many of you knew that some of these little ones come up from surgery with their chests still open? Yep, it's kind of disturbing. They have begun weaning her off of the ventilator and hope to pull it tomorrow. There are a couple of things that are still of great concern to her parents and somewhat to the doctors. Abbie's drainage from her chest is still quite significant. They actually had to add another drainage tube today. Because of the drainage problem they had to take her off of breastmilk and she is on a very special formula. This is fairly normal but very discouraging. Her platelett count is low again and they aren't sure why. Her adrenal gland is hemorrhaging, but the docs aren't extremely worried about this either.
Anyway, as I talked to Angela today, she seemed really discouraged and is really wanting some answers. Pray that Abbie will do well breathing on her own. Please pray that Abbie's drainage will taper off soon. Pray that they will be able to figure out what is causing her low platelett counts and what is going on with her adrenal gland. Thank you all for your prayers and concern.
Abbie got out of surgery a little before 1:00. She is recovering now and things went pretty well. I am getting all of my info from Abbie's mom via text messages so I don't know a lot of details. I plan on calling her this evening to get a few more details. I do know that the repair went very quickly and that she got off the heart/lung bypass machine pretty quickly. Praise the Lord that things went so well today. God is so good. Thank you all for your prayers. You are so faithful.
I just got a message that Baby Abbie is in surgery right now. They anticipate being finished about 1:00. Please pray that Abbie is strong and that the surgical team is wise and accurate. Mom and Dad need peace as they wait for each update from the OR. Thank you.
Abbie did not have her surgery today. About an hour before the planned start time, they discovered that her platelette levels are low which is a sign of infection. They will spend the next 3 days treating the infection and they hope to be able to do the surgery on Monday. Also, there is a chance that they got false readings and that there really isn't an infection. This is obviously the best option. Please pray that they will be able to effectively treat the infection if it is an infection. Pray that they will reach an accurate decision about this as well. I know that God is in control and that His timing is perfect. Continue to pray for healing for Angela although she is feeling much better. Thank you all for your prayers. As always, you are wonderful and I love all of you.
Feast your eyes on this beautiful baby girl. What an angel!
*Update: Abbie's sugery will be on Friday morning. I saw her tonight and she looked really good. Some of the problems that they thought were a big deal look like they won't be too much of an issue. Please pray for no surprises when they do her surgery on friday. Also, keep praying for Abbie's mom to recover quickly. She is still in a lot of pain from her c-section and has a hard time resting because she wants to be with Abbie. Thank you for all of your prayers.
Abbie did not have her surgery today. She is still doing fine. Things are kind of in limbo and they don't know much. My mom and I are going up there tonight to take pictures of sweet Abbie. Surgery may be tomorrow but they aren't sure.
I am sorry that I have not kept you updated today. I knew nothing until about 30 minutes ago. Abbie was born today and weighed 7 pounds! She is doing relatively well. She came out crying and cried until they put her ventilator in. They immediately took her to the cath lab. With it is mandatory that the baby have an Atrial Septal Defect (hole in the atrium). However, Abbie's has been closing while she was in the womb. This is why she had to have a cardiac cath today. They needed to open the ASD. Abbie was in the cath lab for over 5 hours and they were not able to get the ASD open. However, Abbie "somehow" (miraculously) had some extra veins that are serving the purpose of the ASD. However, they are quite small and will not provide adequate blood supply. So her 1st surgery (Norwood) will be tomorrow or Thursday. She is stable right now and she has oxygen saturations of 92%. However, her "plumbing" is very different from what they are used to so it will be an even more difficult surgery. Please pray for wisdom for the doctors as they decide when to do the surgery and that God will guide their hands and minds. Pray for Abbie to remain strong and to fight, fight, fight. Pray for Abbie's mommy who feels quite distant being at Barnes instead of Children's hospital with her baby. Pray that Abbie's mommy will recover quickly and pray for strength for Abbie's dad. Also, pray for rest for EVERYONE.