As some of you know, we have felt called and directed by God to adopt a child into our family. We are adopting a child from South Korea and will likely be matched with a specific child in the next couple of months. If the process proceeds on schedule we will then travel to Korea sometime fall – winter 2012 to bring our child home. Adoption is something that we have planned on doing even before we were married. We believe that adoption is very consistent with God’s commands for Christians and even His own plan of adopting us as sons and daughters.
- Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress… James 1:27
- God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. Ephesians 1:5
We are writing to you to ask for support in a couple of areas:
1. Prayer – Please pray that God would care for our child in Korea until we are able to bring him/her home, that God would prepare our children for the upcoming changes to our family, and that God will give us wisdom, discernment, and insight as we raise an international adoptee.
2. Financial support – We estimate our total cost for adoption fees, document preparation, home study, airfare, travel, attorney fees, etc. to be $32,600. The Lord has blessed us financially; however we need a large bulk of the total cost of the adoption faster than what we can save for. The Korean adoption program is one of the most expensive programs and it has an added financial difficulty in that the foreign fee ($20,000) is due at time of referral. For our particular case, that could be as soon as December 2011. Given our current resources available for adoption and our current monthly adoption savings rate, we will still likely have a shortfall of about $6000 at the time the $20K foreign fee is due.
In order to meet this shortfall, we have applied and qualified for a $2,000 Funds Matching Grant through the Christian non-profit organization Lifesong (www.lifesongfororphans.org). Lifesong is a trusted organization administering the funds on our child’s behalf, and will pay adoption expenses out of funds received. If you feel led to financially contribute to our adoption, please follow these simple steps:
- Please make donations between now and January 11, 2012
2. Make checks payable to: Lifesong. You may preference how the donation might be used by writing “preference Mahoney #2377 Adoption” in the memo section of your check. (*Note: In following IRS guidelines, your donation is to Lifesong. Lifesong retains full discretion over its user, but intends to honor the donor’s suggested use.) All contributions are tax-deductible.
3. Finally, mail checks to:
Lifesong for Orphans
Att: Mahoney #2377 Adoption
PO Box 40
Gridley, IL 61744
Again we do ask that you pray for us in the next weeks and months and we also thank you if you are able and choose to contribute financially. You can read more about our journey at http://www.happyheartsblog.wordpress.com or find Faith on Facebook. Also, if you have any questions, you may email us at rfmhnyatyahoo.com Please check back every couple of months to see how things progress. We are excited to be on this journey, and hope you will join us.
Ryan, Faith, Trent, Maggie, and Evie